The Federal Communications Emergency Broadband Benefit Program
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a FCC program that provides a discount on monthly bills for qualifying low income households. If your household is eligible, you can receive:
- Up to $50.00/month discount on your broadband service and associated equipment rentals
- Up to $75.00/month discount if your household is on qualifying Tribal Lands
- A onetime discount of up to $100.00 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer from an eligible vendor (with a co-pay of more than $10.00 but less than $50.00). WCTA is not an eligible vendor for this discount.
Only one monthly service discount and device discount is allowed per household. The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program will begin on May 12, 2021.
Who is Eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
A household is eligible if one member of the household meets one of these qualifications:
- Qualifies for the Lifeline Program Benefits through participation in SNAP, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, Federal Public Housing Assistance, or Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit.
- Participates in one of several Tribal Programs including: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal Head Start (only households meeting the relevant income qualifying standard), Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TNAF), or Food distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
- Experienced a substantial loss of income since February 29, 2020 with a total household income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers.
- Received a federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
- Received approval for benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or school breakfast program including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year.
When Can Eligible Households Sign Up?
- The FCC expects the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program will be open to eligible households by May 12, 2021. Please check the FCC website at fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit
How Can Eligible Households sign up?
There are two ways to apply for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program:
- Sign up online with USAC at https://getemergencybroadband.org/
- Print an application in English or Spanish, complete the application and send with proof of eligibility to:
- Emergency Broadband Support Center
- O. Box 7081
- London, KY 40742
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a Temporary Program.
The program will end when the fund runs out of money or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency whichever comes first.
For more information regarding the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program, click here.