LOW-INCOME MINNESOTANS MAY QUALIFY FOR TELEPHONE or broadband ASSISTANCE
Lifeline, Minnesota’s Telephone Assistance Program (TAP), and Toll Limitation Service (TLS) support all provide discounts to eligible low-income consumers to help them establish and maintain telephone service through Winnebago Cooperative Telecom Association (WCTA).
What type of discount is available?
Lifeline assistance is a federal program which lowers the cost of basic, monthly local telephone or broadband service. Eligible consumers may receive up to $9.25 per month in discounts from Lifeline.
Minnesota’s Telephone Assistance Program (TAP) is a state program which also provides a monthly telephone service discount, in the amount of $10.00 per month.
Toll Limitation Service (TLS) support allows eligible consumers who wish to avoid incurring large long distance fees to choose toll blocking or toll control at no cost.
How do I know whether I am eligible?
An individual is eligible if he or she participates in one of the following programs:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Medicaid / Medical Assistance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension benefit
In addition, a consumer may be eligible if his or her household income is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Additional qualifying programs for persons living on a reservation:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservation (FDPIR)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Tribally Administered Head Start (only those meeting income-qualifying standards)
How do I apply to receive Lifeline, TAP, and TLS support discounts?
To apply or determine eligibility for Lifeline, TAP, and TLS discounts please contact the WCTA business office at 704 E. Main St., Lake Mills, IA 50450 (800-592-6105). This application is also available on the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission website at https://mn.gov/puc/consumers/telephone/
For more information regarding National Verifier, click here https://nationalverifier.servicenowservices.com/lifeline